Thursday, March 3, 2016

I've been growing and seeing this classic Mystery China called "Pink Cracker Rose" since the late 70s in Seminole Heights, Hyde Park and other places in older parts of Tampa. I started using it as an organic landscaper here in 1984 as it is problem free and blooms perpetually, with the fullest and most fragrant blossoms produced in the cooler winter months. But it VERY rarely produces hips...even the decades old giant hedge of it on Davis Island made a small number of hips after a few years of drought stress. My seventeen years old plant here in my south Tampa yard made a VERY rare hip I noticed and picked yesterday. But as is very often the case, it was empty of seeds (achenes). My suspicion lingers that it is either 'Burbank' or the sister seedling 'Santa Rosa'.



No comments:

Post a Comment